History

Prior to 1940, fire protection in South Daytona was handled by the Daytona Beach Fire Department. Then on March 15, 1940 a group of individuals, with the blessing of the South Daytona City Council, formed the South Daytona Volunteer Fire Department. Membership was limited to a maximum of twenty members and they received no monetary compensation for attending meetings or responding to calls.South Daytona Fire Trucks

The first piece of fire equipment consisted of an old military surplus 4 X 4 and an old water tank. In 1957, the City Council approved the purchase of a new Seagrave Pumper with a 500 gallon tank on a Ford chassis. The volunteer association acquired and refurbished a used Chevy step van to use as one of the areas first Rescue Squad units. With the agreement of the area fire chiefs this unit would respond to the surrounding cities of Port Orange, New Smyrna, Holly Hill and Ormond Beach. This was the beginning of Mutual Aid.

Up until 1969, the fire department was totally volunteer. It was then that the city City Council approved the hiring of three full time firefighters. The South Daytona Volunteer Fireman's Association still played an active part. One of the full time firefighters was appointed as a Lieutenant to over see the operations.

In 1973, the fire department hired a fourth firefighter due to the city's growth in both residential structures and commercial areas. One year later the City Council approved the purchase of a 55 foot Snorkel aerial platform. The City now had three fire apparatus having previously acquired a 1967 Ford 750 GPM Pumper.

April of 1973, the City Council created a Department of Public Safety. The Police Chief oversaw the operations of both the Police and Fire Departments. That ordinance was repealed in June of 1977.

In July 1977, the department got its first full time Fire Chief, Wilfred Evans. He was followed in December 1978 by John Geissler as Chief and then byChief Jim Quinn. With the Chief's retirement in 2007, Senior Commander Tad Derr began to supervise the department. In 2010, Commander Derr was promoted to Fire Chief.

In 1979, the South Daytona Fire Department started providing their citizens with a Basic Life Support (BLS) Rescue service with trained Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT's).

In 1999, the department upgraded its level of service to Advance Life Support (ALS) Rescue Service.

2011 saw the retirement of Chief Derr.  Currently the department’s day to day operations are being handled by Senior Fire Commander Dave Giles.

In 2014, the department elected to participate in contingency transport.  This certification allows the department to transport medical patients to local hospitals under certain criteria.

October 2016 - Commander Dave Giles was appointed Fire Chief
The fire department is always interested in any old photos of our department from any past member. Please contact Chief Dave Giles - dgiles@southdaytona.org

A View of Lake Charles

Contact Us

City Hall
1672 S Ridgewood Ave
South Daytona, FL 32119
Get Directions

In This Department

Divisions

HouseDepartment Home